And by cow, we mean ram. It was an Aries moon. Titles might not be our forte. Sorry, we promise this has a point…

So that moon last night was crazy huh? Before you go running off thinking I am about to go full-blown hippie on you, hear me out…

Whether you buy into the astrological significance or not, the moon and its phases have been scientifically proven to have an impact on us; how we feel, our energy levels, sleep patterns, and more. Being that we are made up of more than 60% water, it is no surprise that the pull of the moon would affect us in even the slightest of ways, like it does the tides. On a more historical level, we used to depend on living by the moon. In our caveman and tribal days, predators would take advantage of the bright full moons, and in return we would need to remain more alert. In more recent history, our planting, harvesting, hunting, and daily life were dictated by the moon. Even if most of us go about life unaware of it today, the moon affects us.

Last night was the Hunter’s Moon which holds significance to scientists, folklore enthusiasts, and actual hunters alike. It almost always falls in October, when the animals have plumped up and are ready to be hunted as the winter season approaches (as a vegetarian, I would rather not think of killing Bambi, but hey, that’s the name it was given). In addition to being one of the most bright moons on an average year, this year it happened to also be the second in a series of three Supermoons in a row. A Supermoon is when the month’s full moon falls when the moon’s orbit brings it closest to Earth. This makes it look 30% bigger and significantly brighter than at other times of the year.

Taking a slight astrological detour, stay with me…

This Super-Hunter’s-Moon combo fell during Aries. As a result, this full moon was supposed to be a time of energy and of taking action. Aries is a fire sign, and based on my personal experience growing up with two Aries in my house, I believe it. In everything I have been told, a moon in Aries means that it is a great time to put energy into healing, taking action on what you want, and letting go of what you don’t while remaining aware and in control of your ego and temperament.

Now, back to my original point…

Even if you think zodiac signs are bullshit, we should all have been able to look at that awesome moon last night and feel… something. Low in the sky and bright, we can all appreciate it if for nothing else than its beauty. It is a symbol that another month has passed, and with that comes changes. Maybe you don’t feel the “vibrations” but you can at least take it as a moment to reflect. What went well? What could have been better? Apply this to the past month. Apply this to the past year.

Buy into the Aries energy if for no other reason than to have an excuse to really pursue what you are passionate about!

Every full moon, I try to stand outside for at least a moment and set an intention. Think of it as a monthly resolution. We all have things we could improve on, frustrations we can let go of, and things to become excited about. If you allow yourself to open up to renewing your energy in this way, you can move forward with confidence that you are living your life with purpose and becoming a better person along the way. Step outside (admit it, we could all use a moment of fresh air), admire the moon, and allow yourself to be open to a new month of possibilities.

Emily

Comment